Join Us In Prayer
One of the most important and impactful ways you can support World Relief is through your prayers. On this page, you will find specific prayer request for World Relief programs, staff, volunteers and the many people we serve. If you belong to a prayer chain at your church, please send the link to this page to your friends and family so they may lift these requests up in their daily prayer life.
"Then all the believers were united as they lifted their voices in prayer: "O Sovereign Lord, Creator of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them – you spoke long ago by the Holy Spirit through our ancestor King David, your servant, saying, 'Why did the nations rage? Why did the people waste their time with futile plans? The kings of the earth prepared for battle; the rulers gathered together against the Lord and against his Messiah.' "That is what has happened here in this city! For Herod Antipas, Pontius Pilate the governor, the Gentiles, and the people of Israel were all united against Jesus, your holy servant, whom you anointed. In fact, everything they did occurred according to your eternal will and plan. And now, O Lord, hear their threats, and give your servants great boldness in their preaching. Send your healing power; may miraculous signs and wonders be done through the name of your holy servant Jesus." After this prayer, the building where they were meeting shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. And they preached God's message with boldness." Acts 4:24-31
Pray for Burundi
- Pray for Churches – Pray that the local Church is unified so that different denominations collaborate to respond to the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of the most vulnerable.
- Pray for Families – Pray against negative family dynamics that are common in Burundi, including gender inequality and a lack of trust, communication and support, all of which are exacerbated by poverty. Pray that families are transformed by the Gospel.
- Pray for Children – Burundian children are some of the world’s most vulnerable. Pray that mothers have access to necessary education and health services and that they are able to provide their children with adequate, diverse diets to combat severe malnutrition and disease.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray that our presence in Burundi, dating back to 1968, would continue to flourish with the growth of two daughter organizations and empowered networks of local churches serving the country’s most vulnerable.
Pray for Cambodia
- Pray for Churches – Pray that the local Church in Cambodia would be empowered to realize its potential in meeting the physical and spiritual needs of the most vulnerable.
- Pray for Children – In a culture where children are often seen as having little value, children in Cambodia are vulnerable to disease, malnutrition, abuse & exploitation. Pray that Cambodian children are protected, nourished and provided with education.
- Pray for Health – Pray that hunger, the prevalence of HIV/AIDS, malnutrition and poverty are addressed in sustainable ways so that Cambodians can live healthy, vibrant lives. Pray especially for women & children who are made vulnerable by AIDS.
- Pray against Trafficking – Pray that men and women who are trafficked into forced labor, sexual exploitation and domestic service are freed from slavery and given just, dignified opportunities for income. Pray that children are not trafficked.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray in thankfulness for the evidence of change and positive impact in the communities where we work and for the continued empowerment of the local Church so that it can serve Cambodia’s most vulnerable.
Pray for DR Congo
- Pray for Churches – Pray for the many churches around the country who are uniquely positioned to serve the most vulnerable. Pray that they are strengthened and unified to serve better and reduce the impact of disaster.
- Pray for Peace – Years of civil war and tribal unrest have created a culture of conflict in the DR Congo. Pray that peace is established through the Church at a grassroots level and that communities would reconcile conflict to prevent violence and further injustice.
- Pray for Women – Pray that women and girls are protected from sexual violence and rape, which are used as a weapon of war. Pray that victims of these acts and HIV/AIDS are not ostracized, but given adequate care and counseling.
- Pray for Children – Pray for the health of Congolese children, who are exceedingly vulnerable to disease. Pray also that children are not exploited by groups in armed conflict.
- Pray for Opportunity – Pray that the Congolese people have access to sustainable solutions to poverty, including financial services and agricultural training.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray for us as we build on a relationship with the DR Congo reaching back to 2002. Pray that we continue to empower the local Congolese Church to create a culture of peace and serve the most vulnerable.
Pray for Haiti
- Pray for Churches – Pray that the local Church is empowered to deliver sustainable, local resources to communities devastated by natural disaster. Pray that the local Church realizes its unique, powerful role in community development.
- Pray for Opportunity – Pray for the smallholder farmers in Haiti, that they would improve their livelihoods and combat poverty through improved farming techniques and production methods.
- Pray for Women & Children – Pray that maternal and infant mortality is reduced through better support for orphans and vulnerable children, adequate support for those living with HIV/AIDS and greater church-based health interventions.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray that the Lord would continually bless our relationship with the Local Church as we pursue agricultural and economic development, health interventions and disaster risk reduction.
Pray for Indonesia
- Pray for Churches – Pray for Indonesia as it is a closed country and home to over 200 unreached people groups, or about 11 million people who have never heard the Gospel. Pray for the grass-roots, self-sustaining movement of marginalized and persecuted churches ministering to Indonesia’s most vulnerable.
- Pray for Health – Pray for a network of churches and volunteers in Papua, Indonesia to address the prevalence of HIV/AIDS in the midst of geographic isolation, inadequate healthcare, risky cultural practices and a lack of education.
- Pray for Strengthened Communities – Pray for 0% malnutrition in children under 5, adequate adult care of children, adequate household nutrition, increased household incomes and higher agricultural production among vulnerable communities.
- Pray for Refugees – Pray for asylum-seekers and refugees from Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran that are in a detention center in Bali, Indonesia. Pray for mitigation of isolation, psychosocial distress and potential long-term mental health problems.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray for our unique relationship with local people groups and the Indonesian government, both of which open the door for humanitarian relief and church mobilization. Pray that our relationships with the local Church and other organizations lead to more cell churches and the proclamation of the Gospel in unreached areas.
Pray for Kenya
- Pray for Peace - Kenya continues to have episodes of violence. Pray that the Church will be an advocate for peace around the country.
- Pray for Opportunity – Pray for Kenyans facing poverty, that they would be provided access to agricultural and financial opportunity to improve household income, food security, nutrition and health. Pray specifically that our empowerment of smallholder potato farmers would provide them a high return on their labor.
- Pray for Women & Children – Pray against the gender-based violence and gender inequality, both of which leave many women without opportunity and many children vulnerable to malnutrition and disease, including HIV/AIDS.
- Pray for Churches - Pray that local churches and their congregations would be mobilized and empowered to own and initiate transformational development in their communities. Pray that God would unite churches divided due to ethnicity or tribal differences.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray that our relationship with Kenya, dating back to 1991, would continue to build upon our mission of empowering the local Church to address the needs of the most vulnerable.
Pray for Malawi
- Pray for Churches – Pray that the local Church and its leaders are empowered to respond to the spiritual and physical needs of Malawi’s most vulnerable.
- Pray for HIV/AIDS Ministry – Pray that the local Church and its surrounding community would respond to people affected by HIV/AIDS, particularly vulnerable women and children, and provide them with adequate care and support.
- Pray for Children – Pray that households are made aware of proper nutrition, sanitation and hygiene so that children are healthy and resilient to disease. Pray also that children are protected from the neglect, abuse and potential exploitation that can occur as a result of extreme poverty.
- Pray for Opportunity – Pray for agricultural development in Malawi, where almost half of the population lives below the poverty line. Pray that Malawians are able to increase productivity and household income so they can better address the needs of their families.
- Pray for World Relief – Since 1989, World Relief has been empowering the local Malawian Church to respond to poverty and disaster. Pray that we would further catalyze a critical mass of churches so they are empowered to serve the most vulnerable in their communities.
Pray for Mozambique
- Pray for Churches – Pray for self-sustaining, growing discipleship in local churches around the country. Pray that the local Church is empowered to serve the most vulnerable as it is transformed by the Gospel.
- Pray for Health – Pray for Mozambique, one of the highest-ranking countries for tuberculosis prevalence and failed detection. Pray that the capacity of health facilities is strengthened to treat and prevent the spread of this disease.
- Pray for Strengthened Communities – Pray that communities are made resilient to poverty through better nutrition, better household income, more economic opportunity and better health practices within families.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray that we continue to fill the role of servant, facilitator and agent for the local Church and most vulnerable people in Mozambique. Pray that we help saturate Gaza Province with discipleship and the truth of the Gospel.
Pray for Rwanda
- Pray for Churches - That they would be empowered and respond to the needs in their community—bearing witness to the Gospel in word and deed.
- Pray for Children - While much progress has been made in recent years there are still many orphans and vulnerable children in Rwanda. Pray that God would empower churches to care for their needs.
- Pray for Reconciliation - Pray for continued healing and reconciliation in Rwanda as the nation commemorates the 20th anniversary of the 1994 Genocide.
- Pray for World Relief - That God would allow us to continue empower churches all over Rwanda to serve the most vulnerable.
Pray for South Sudan
- Pray for Peace and Reconciliation - Pray that God would bring peace and stability to this new nation, that interventions to bring forgiveness and reconciliation would soften hearts and that churches would act as peacemakers.
- Pray for Churches – Pray both for the well-established and many small, new church denominations around the country. Pray that they would continually unite as a network to serve the most vulnerable.
- Pray for Resources – Pray that the international community would respond with the necessary resources to address the acute food insecurity that the country faces. Pray that the resources will reach the most vulnerable and will be adequate to avert famine in the coming year.
- Pray for Refugees and IDPs – Pray for the 1.1 million refugees and IDPs who have fled their homes as a result of the conflict. Pray for health conditions in camps and other places where people have sought refuge, mitigation of isolation, psychosocial distress and potential long-term mental health problems.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray that we build upon our long-standing relationship with the network of churches around South Sudan as we pursue lasting, sustainable transformation.
Pray for Sudan
- Pray for the Church – Pray for the churches in Khartoum that have seen significant challenges as many leaders have been asked to leave the country. Pray for unity among the various denominations and for courage to continue worshipping and reaching out to those around them in the love of Christ.
- Pray for Economic Stability – Pray against inflation and national cutting of subsidies that threaten household food security. Pray for better infrastructure, diversified income opportunities and good climatic conditions for those growing subsistence crops.
- Pray for Cows – In a bank-less society, animals are often a way of storing wealth. Pray that the veterinary health workers in Darfur effectively help the communities vaccinate their cows, camels and donkeys. Pray against cattle-raiding, a crime that often leads to village conflicts and escalates into larger violence. Pray that World Relief helps communities (both pastoralists and not) think rightly about cows; caring for them well but not idolizing them or prizing them over people.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray that we would best know how to encourage the churches in Sudan as we pursue lasting, sustainable transformation of the communities where we are working.
Pray for the US
- Pray for the Church – Pray for U.S. churches. Pray that eyes are opened to worldwide issues of poverty, injustice and oppression. Pray that churches are moved to serve the most vulnerable in their own communities and around the world in a relational, mutually transformational way.
- Pray for Refugees – Pray for the refugees entering the United States, often fleeing persecution or conflict. Pray that they are resettled into compassionate communities, connected to a local church and that they have access to necessary resources and relationships.
- Pray for Immigrants – Pray for immigrants as they travel to the United States and navigate the immigration legal system. Pray that World Relief would empower the Church to welcome growing immigrant congregations.
- Pray for Freedom – Pray that God would bless our anti-trafficking staff as they minister to the needs of survivors. Pray for the restoration of trafficking survivors. Pray that the local Church and surrounding community would become increasingly aware of this issue. Pray that modern day slavery would come to an end.
- Pray for Immigration Reform – Pray for a bipartisan solution to our current immigration legal system that reflects the God-given dignity of every person, protects and unifies families, respects the rule of law and establishes a just path towards legal status and/or citizenship. Pray for your legislators as they debate immigration.
- Pray for World Relief – Pray for our U.S. offices as they meet the needs of refugees, immigrants and survivors of human trafficking. Pray that World Relief would mobilize churches and communities to effectively serve these vulnerable populations.