Digital Literacy Volunteer
World Relief matches volunteers with opportunities to help newly arrived refugees and asylees improve their digital literacy so that they can successfully navigate digital tasks that are necessary for self-sufficiency and community integration.
This is a new volunteer position that is currently being piloted! As a pilot program volunteer, you will have the opportunity to help World Relief shape an essential new service, and you will be asked to provide feedback about your experience in the position.
Digital Literacy Tutor:
- Meet with student and helper (a person in the student’s household who speaks the student’s first language and is able and willing to help coach the student in learning and practicing digital skills) over video call for 2-3 hours once a week
- Administer Diagnostic Needs Assessment (DNA) in the initial meeting with the student and helper
- Based on the needs identified through the DNA, identify which modules of the provided curriculum to complete
- Utilize the detailed, high-quality Digital Literacy Curriculum Resource (DLCR) provided to work through relevant modules with the student and helper
- Carefully prepare before each session to ensure quality instruction
- Build a supportive relationship of mutual respect and learning with the student and helper
- Communicate consistently with ESL Program Coordinator and Volunteer Coordinator about needs, challenges, and successes
- Attend a virtual meeting monthly with other Digital Literacy Tutors to provide feedback on the pilot program, share ideas and tips, and troubleshoot challenges together
- Ability to assist on a weekly basis (minimum commitment of 3 months)
- Sensitivity to persons of culturally diverse backgrounds
- High degree of patience, understanding, and flexibility
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation before starting
- Log volunteer hours each week
- Pass a Federal Background Check
- Basic digital literacy skills
Interested in volunteering as a Digital Literacy Tutor? The first step is to fill out a volunteer application. We will review the application and then send you an access code to RSVP to a volunteer training.
All volunteers are required to attend a volunteer training, complete an application, and undergo a background checks before starting. At the training you will learn about World Relief's work, the refugees and immigrants we serve, and what it looks like to come alongside them as volunteers in different roles