World Relief matches volunteers with opportunities to assist in our English classes in order to help newly arrived refugees and asylees improve their English and prepare them for self-sufficiency in the United States.
Summer Teaching Internship: We offer short-term (2-8 week) summer volunteer teaching opportunities from July-September. Instructors must be TESOL certified and be able to work independently with remote classes. Email Liz Nelson at LNelson@wr.org to learn more and apply.
- Meet with students one on one for about an hour 1-2x per week over WhatsApp or Zoom to assist with learning English through homework activities, conversation practice, and building relationships
- Assist ESL teachers in a multicultural, multi-level online classroom as needed
- Communicate consistently with ESL teachers and Volunteer Coordinator about student needs
- Help familiarize students with American customs and cultures, and learn about their own
- Ability to assist on a weekly basis (minimum commitment of 3 months)
- Sensitivity to persons of culturally diverse backgrounds
- High degree of patience, understanding, and flexibility
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation before starting
- Log volunteer hours each week
- Pass a Federal Background Check
- NO previous ESL experience or TEFL/TESOL certification required
All volunteers are required to attend a volunteer training, complete an application, and undergo a background checks before starting. At the training you will learn about World Relief's work, the refugees and immigrants we serve, and what it looks like to come alongside them as volunteers in different roles