Volunteer Opportunities with World Relief
Make an Impact that Lasts
We all want to make a difference in the world. It’s part of how we are designed. At World Relief, we believe making a difference is a two-way street. Over the past 40+ years, we’ve been guiding people like you to volunteering in ways that make a lasting impact. You can bring your gifts, abilities and interests, and World Relief Durham will help you connect and walk alongside families and individuals as they rebuild their lives in the Triangle.
We are so excited to partner with you as you grow, learn, and make a difference through volunteering. Learn more about World Relief, our mission and volunteer expectations and guidelines in our Volunteer Handbook here.
Learn more about current volunteer opportunities below, and follow our onboarding steps to get started:
- Follow the link to our Volunteer Portal, click "Sign In" to create your account, and follow instructions to submit your volunteer application. Please note that we only consider one-time applicants for specific projects, so please submit the "Short-Term/Long-Term" application unless World Relief Durham staff have instructed otherwise. (Please use your legal first and last name. Each applicant must have a unique email address. Please be sure to include your phone number and church affiliation if applicable.)
- Follow subsequent instructions through the Volunteer Portal to complete the Durham E-Learning Volunteer Orientation Module and register for an upcoming World Relief Durham local volunteer orientation. If you do not see an upcoming orientation date that works for you, please email WRDVolunteer@wr.org to be added to the waitlist for a subsequent orientation.
- As you progress through the onboarding steps, the system will auto-send you a background check request from Sterling Volunteers. Please fill out and submit this secure form. If you have any questions or concerns about the background check process, please review the Sterling Volunteers FAQ page before submitting your volunteer application. Annual background checks are mandatory for all World Relief employees, interns, volunteers, and contractors.
Download our Volunteer Handbook to review our mission, vision, and values, along with important policies and procedures.
"Serving in the ESL program has helped me love my diverse city even more, and the students inspire and remind me to love my neighbor each week by their joy, enthusiasm, tenacity, and gratefulness."
- Sarah, World Relief Volunteer
“Pat and I feel very much appreciated, and cherish each family we have helped. We remain friends with several and are enriched by having them in our lives.”
- Pat and Harriett, World Relief Volunteers
"I’ve learned about the needs of refugees and immigrants, immigration law and policy, and teaching English. Mostly, I’ve learned about the world by getting to know immigrants, their lives, and their stories.”
- Paul, World Relief Volunteer