By Isaac Barnes, Marketing and Communications Manager at World Relief
It’s been two weeks since the Justice Conference, and I am still processing the many moments of clarity and insight that I experience along with 4,000 other people.
The breadth and depth of the speakers and facilitators brought a profound life and expression to the word “justice” that I have never experienced before. In addition to my own individual experience, it encouraged me to share those two days of learning with so many other Christians also captured by Christ’s heart for justice in our broken world.
I was encouraged and challenged by what was said, but also convicted that justice – like love – is to be lived out in my relationship with God and those around me. As we have all returned to our neighborhoods and ministries, I hope to hear your great stories of live-out justice next year in Philadelphia at the Justice Conference 2013!
Here are some quotes and pictures* from this past Justice Conference in Portland, Ore:
Spoken at the Justice Conference 2012:
“Jesus’ natural companionship is with those folks [the poor].” – Walter Brueggemann
“I went to Africa. And suddenly, it wasn’t poor people anymore. It was Kenneth, and Rose, and Rachel.” – Francis Chan
“Women are the greatest untapped resource in the world.” – Lynne Hybels
“Don’t be afraid to lament.” – Stephan Bauman
“It doesn’t matter who you are. Everyone has something to offer the movement of justice” – Shane Claiborne
“If we’re going to address trafficking in our country we have to address poverty, racism & gender based violence.” – Rachel Lloyd
“Justice goes across racial and economic barriers – like the good Samaritan.” – John M. Perkins
“That you would no longer see us as the mission field, but as co-equal participants in life.” – Richard Twiss
“When you’re no longer asking ‘What’s mine?’ you start asking ‘What’s true, what’s right, what’s ours?’” – Rick McKinley
Shared on Social Media at the Justice Conference 2012:
- Bread for the World: “@worldrelief Thanks 4 your work, @kenwytsma, @antiochbend & all. Our hearts full of hope. Reg4 2013 @thejusticeconf ow.ly/9k0cn”
- Katie Høiland: “Appreciating @stephanjbauman : theologian, development practitioner, poet & @WorldRelief pres. Thx for charge to hold long line of justice.”
- Kyle Anderson: “#love is an irreplaceable thread in Justice @kjwytsma inspiring & powerful start to @thejusticeconf thank you! #justice2012 @WorldRelief”
- Restored: “Wish we were @thejusticeconf #justice2012 but so glad…@WorldRelief are there 🙂 Looking forward to the online action later”
- Urbana Missions: “Our team is so excited for @thejusticeconf tomorrow. Thanks to friends @worldrelief for hosting the event!”
- Fred Smith: “I think the relationship between Shane Claiborne and John Perkins is a good example of two generations with great respect for each other. You are doing such good work.”
- Merrilee Parsons Lewis: “Amazing experience!”
- Shandra Johnson: “Hope to go again next year.”
- Debi Luna Marshall: “I won’t let anything keep me from going next year! Can’t wait!”
- Sandra Boedecker: “Bravo Stephan Bauman, Walter Brueggemann, Don Golden, Matthew Soerens and Jenny Hwang!”
*Pictures by The Justice Conference and Isaac Barnes.