What is a Travel Loan?

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) provides refugees with a travel loan for transportation cost to the U.S. The travel loan is an interest-free loan made to refugees to pay for the cost of travel. Refugees are required to sign a promissory note to repay it before traveling to the U.S.

Per agreement with The International Organization for Migration (IOM), World Relief has a period of five years to collect on a loan. Once this time period has lapsed, the loan is transferred to IOM for further collections.

All World Relief clients will receive their first billing statement in the fifth month after arrival. If the client has relocated to a new address prior to this date, it is imperative that the travel loan department is supplied with the new address before the billing period.

Due to new updates with our online payments system, we can NO LONGER ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS as a form of payment. This will affect all payments via Mastercard, Discover, American Express and Visa Credit.

We will continue to accept the following:
• Visa Debit Cards
• Bank checking account and routing number (ACH)
• Check
• Money order

Travel Loans FAQ

What is my case number and where can I find it?

Your case number is the number which has been assigned to your Travel Loan. This number is located on the left side of your monthly billing statement. You must refer to your case number every time you contact World Relief.


How can I pay my travel loan?

You must pay your travel loan by mail with a check or money order made out to World Relief. Our mailing address is: World Relief 7 East Baltimore Street. Baltimore, MD 21202. Be sure to write your name and case number on the check or money order.


When are my payments due?

Payments are due on the 15th of each month. Your first statement will be sent five months after you arrive in the United States.


What happens if I cannot pay?

If you cannot pay your Travel Loan, please call or write to us immediately. There are several assistance options available, but we must first be made aware of your situation.


What happens when I move?

If you move while you are still repaying your Travel Loan, be sure to inform our office in writing or by phone. Please be prepared to provide us with your name, case number, and new address. You can reach us by phone by calling 800-903-1924 or 800-901-1908.


What happens if I don’t repay my loan?

If you do not repay your loan, you run the risk of impairing your credit history. This can cause you to be denied.


Back to top