World Relief matches volunteers with opportunities to assist in our English classes in order to help newly arrived refugees and asylees improve their English and prepare them for self-sufficiency in the United States.
- Meet with students one on one for about an hour 1-2x per week over WhatsApp or Zoom to assist with learning English through homework activities, conversation practice, and building relationships
- Assist ESL teachers in a multicultural, multi-level online classroom as needed
- Communicate consistently with ESL teachers and Volunteer Coordinator about student needs
- Help familiarize students with American customs and cultures, and learn about their own
- Ability to assist on a weekly basis (minimum commitment of 3 months)
- Sensitivity to persons of culturally diverse backgrounds
- High degree of patience, understanding, and flexibility
- Complete the volunteer onboarding, including orientations and a background check
- Log volunteer hours each week
- NO previous ESL experience or TEFL/TESOL certification required
Interested in volunteering with ESL? The first step is to fill out a volunteer application. Once you submit your application, follow the steps to complete the online orientation and register for a local training.
All volunteers are required to attend both the general and local orientations, complete an application, and undergo a background check before starting. At the training you will learn about World Relief's work, the refugees and immigrants we serve, and what it looks like to come alongside them as volunteers in different roles